Is Kristen Foxen's top 18 enough to get more younger women to join the game of poker?

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
4 bracelets incredible run she did punt away stack but dont know her read there at all but ya ace showing serock had ak i follow my gut so i punt at times but is a lot of money for this one...Good luck to her in future and all women in poker

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it's a boost but not nearly as much as making the FT or winning it all would have been.

What disgusts me is the amount of armchair quarterbacking and criticism from random trolls - she has one of the best all-time winning records among women poker players which means she obviously knows what she's doing. You can't play scared and expect to run deep in these massive tournaments.

10gerka

10gerka

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many are commenting on that hand that pushed everything from the turn, I think she knows what she is doing, she should not criticize it, there is a reason she is one of the great female poker players, she has come very far in this event.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

Take a Mirror to see that it's not the Site
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I doubt her result in this tournament will change anything regarding woman in poker. Why should it? and why especially younger women?

M

Margo17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I really wanted her to make the final table of the main event, and everything indicated that this would happen, but unfortunately it didn't happen.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I doubt her result in this tournament will change anything regarding woman in poker. Why should it? and why especially younger women?
again you have the wrong comment better practice before you say anything

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe there would have a small effect, if she had won, since this would likely have been covered by mainstream media. But nobody outside the poker community care or even know, who finish in 18`th place in the wsop main event. Also its not like, this was her first large tournament cash. She has been doing well in high stakes MTTs for years, so I dont see, why this 18`th place is even interesting or important at all.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I made it through about 2 minutes of Doug Polk... forget the hand, she's aggressive which is great, she just got caught this time,

a women getting that fair in the ME would be a big plus IF anyone outside of poker had seen it,

which brings me to PokerGO ... no one outside of poker saw it because only those already interested in poker would have PokerGO,

Espn brought in tons of new players who would run across the streams, nobody is "running across" PokerGO!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Putin' the money where the mouth is
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe there would have a small effect, if she had won, since this would likely have been covered by mainstream media. But nobody outside the poker community care or even know, who finish in 18`th place in the WSOP main event. Also its not like, this was her first large tournament cash. She has been doing well in high stakes MTTs for years, so I dont see, why this 18`th place is even interesting or important at all.
Well it wasn't 18th & I don't know if you're new to poker but the WSOP Main Event is like no other.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Well it wasn't 18th & I don't know if you're new to poker but the WSOP Main Event is like no other.
I think his point was mainly that people who aren't already (heavily) interested in poker won't hear about her result, so there'll be not much of an effect as bringing in new women into poker who haven't already been there before.

And I would agree to that.

Without the threads in the forum here, I would also not be informed about the WSOP myself at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Without the threads in the forum here, I would also not be informed about the WSOP myself at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Seriously? Sorry to I come off as surprised. You're a moderator on a poker forum and you don't follow the WSOP (outside of CC).. not even the Main Event?
ALL of my poker friends watch a lot of the WSOP series in Vegas, especially the Main Event! (even some of my non-poker playing friends) Most have been doing so ever since they began to play poker. I never miss it.
The WSOP Main Event is to poker what the Stanley Cup is to hockey.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I can't be the only freak checking updates and watching what I can.... it's the WORLD SERIES OF POKER!
I even love the sound of the music they play at the start of each recording! It's exciting! It's... THE WORLD eff'n SERIES of eff'n POKERZzzz!!!

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Seriously? Sorry to I come off as surprised. You're a moderator on a poker forum and you don't follow the WSOP (outside of CC).. not even the Main Event?
No need to be sorry as we're in a poker forum after all. But that's what it is.

Poker isn't my only hobby and I am not the person to watch/follow (poker) celebs on social media or on twitch/YouTube.

I'm glad some people take the time and convert the main results into digestible bits as news articles on here.

But if it makes you (and others) happy and excited to closely follow the Main Event and other news, that's all that matters. 😁

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Many women have better developed intuition than men.
The number of women in tournaments has not increased, they still make up 5%.

But some women quickly get bored when they realize how much grinding and work they have to do to play the game. At the same time, they enjoy playing cheap home games.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ALL of my poker friends watch a lot of the WSOP series in Vegas, especially the Main Event! (even some of my non-poker playing friends) Most have been doing so ever since they began to play poker. I never miss it.
The WSOP Main Event is to poker what the Stanley Cup is to hockey.
While i totally agree with u that its interesting, not everyone likes to watch others play. And only because he is mod here does not mean he has to follow a poker tournament series (imo!), even if its the biggest series.

Poker is a wide game and there are for sure many other players, probably mainly cash game players, who do not care about the wsop, live poker and/or tournaments in general.

...and some people just like to use their limited time to actually play instead of watching others play. Totally understandable imo.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well it wasn't 18th
Ok but why then did OP not write her exact finishing position, when it was known already?
& I don't know if you're new to poker but the WSOP Main Event is like no other.
Sure. But even so the general public does not care a bit, and especially not about anyone other than the winner. And the question was, if Kristen reaching the final 18 would encourage more women to come into poker. Which I think, it will definitely not, because nobody will even hear about it, unless they are interested in poker already.
...and some people just like to use their limited time to actually play instead of watching others play. Totally understandable imo.
Exactly. And while the WSOP main event has played, there have been several other events to watch live including the european championchip in football, the Wimbledon tennis tournament and the Tour de france bicycle race :)
What disgusts me is the amount of armchair quarterbacking and criticism from random trolls - she has one of the best all-time winning records among women poker players which means she obviously knows what she's doing. You can't play scared and expect to run deep in these massive tournaments.
I agree. While her line was not solver approved, she thought, it was a good time to make a move, but ran into the top of her opponents range. If her opponent had folded a draw or a slightly better made hand, everyone would call her a genius, but because she was wrong and lost, she is the worst player ever.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will make no comment on how she played that hand - I didn't just win over half a million dollars in a poker tournament. It was a great run for her and she shouldn't be remembered this year for how she played that hand.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is the main event not on TV anymore? I used to like watching it.
Oh ok I see from an earlier comment it is not and instead is on something called POKERGO. How retarded is that? I would have thought the ratings would have been good on Tv with the the good announcers they had

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh ok I see from an earlier comment it is not and instead is on something called POKERGO. How retarded is that? I would have thought the ratings would have been good on Tv with the the good announcers they had
Ur comment could easily be from the last decade when the cooperation between WSOP and PokerGo started. Its as old as ur laptos that still work😅😂

Main Event has not been on tv since many many years already

Last edited:
Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It seems that the final table will be broadcast on PokerGO (paid subscription) and we can see replays of the final table on CBS Sports at some point but no schedule for that so far. PokerGO has had the rights to almost everything WSOP for a few years now and offered a free preview on YouTube for roughly an hour featuring the Main Event. I suspect they will continue this practice for the final table even though I don't see it on YouTube yet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will make no comment on how she played that hand - I didn't just win over half a million dollars in a poker tournament. It was a great run for her and she shouldn't be remembered this year for how she played that hand.
Exactly. She probably did something right to make it this far. And as Doug Polk said in his analysis of the hand, was this really such a bad spot to try to pull off a big bluff? Are there not many players, who would drastically overfold in this situation, because they want to make the final 9? And perhaps also because she is a woman, and the assumption is, she would never be bluffing in this spot?

Not saying that I would have played the hand like this. I would honestly probably have folded on the turn, because I would not want to commit so many chips and then hate most rivers, if I faced further pressure. But I am not the one, who just won $600.000, and Kristen has great results, so who I am to be a judge about this hand? Also I cant help feeling, that if a male player try to pull a big bluff but get caught, then people tend to be rather forgiving, because "at least he had balls". But when its a female player, then a lot of keyboard warriors think, its the worst play ever.

Mortis

Mortis

Nutty Evil Squirrel
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it would bring more players in, especially women, if they were to air the last few days on ESPN or cable TV, instead of exclusively on PokerGO. Like, the Final 36. If she actually made the final table, it could have been a big boost to the number of women in poker games, which I think has been increasing in the past couple of years, which is good for the game.

Would it have been even better for the game if she maybe the Final Table? Maybe. But we'll never know. Either way, I do think we're going to see more women in poker in the future. Maybe not as big of a boost if she were to have made the final table.. but who knows really?

Agreed. It would be ridiculous to judge her on how she played 1 or 2 hands when she did have an incredible run for 8 days of 12-14 hours of daily poker.

Top 10 Games