What criteria do you use to decide when to bluff in a poker game?

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I act on my instinct based on opponent type

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
We should be bluffing with the worst hands that could possibly be in our range at this point in the hand.On the river we should bluff with the absolute worst hands in our range, unless a stronger hand blocks more of our opponent's strong hands.Bluff when scare cards come out.It is impossible to win against any but the weakest players without making a big bluff every now and then.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I want to bluff I simply do it and that's it, I don't have any criteria to use.

Flyer35

Flyer35

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
We should be bluffing with the worst hands that could possibly be in our range at this point in the hand.On the river we should bluff with the absolute worst hands in our range, unless a stronger hand blocks more of our opponent's strong hands.Bluff when scare cards come out.It is impossible to win against any but the weakest players without making a big bluff every now and then.
As crazy as it sounds, this is good advice. Unfortunately, far too often you run into players who are in love with their cards such as 72, 83, etc that make bottom pair on the flop, and are not going to fold EVER, PERIOD!

So I would amend it read only with demonstrated tight players.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
There is not such a thing, always instinct 🤙😁 and of course it all depends on what opponents you have at the table..

hardongear

hardongear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
For online cash play at the micro stakes bluffing is used way way way to much. And usually it just gives away money hand over fist because there's mostly always at least that one guy who will call no matter what. It's a great exploit thou knowing which morons will call an all-in shove for $2-$5 because they think I'm trying to steal the blinds which are mere penny's from them. So personally I bluff very very little when comes to playing micro-low stakes cause it's impossible to bluff when there's always at least that one player who will always call.

When I'm playing high stakes MTT's now I pick and choose my spots carefully and also have to strongly consider what my image looks like to others at the table. The tighter villains think I'm playing the more I'm likely gonna try to run a bluff by them. Cause I'm not playing tight I'm simply card dead. If my image is that of a player who's been playing too many hands then I'll be way more careful when running a bluff. Cause the more hands and the higher ones VPIP the less respect your raises are gonna get and the more likely you'll be called. So for me it mostly based all on VPIP, game flow and feel/instinct. My bluffs mostly get thru uncalled.

Cheers!!!

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
if they are nits go for it every time why not

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First I try to determine if there are any icm implications, and then I look to see if the villan/s is good to bluff, and then if the board is good to bluff.

This is easier to do if you have a hud, have notes, and have color coded players.

O

Oksana55

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the players sitting at the table

T

taobinh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
VN
Chips
How do I know when to scare my opponent? I still don't know how.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How do you decide when to bluff in a poker game?
too general to me...and what type of bluff? sometimes is forced by where your at so you choose by position and hope no one calls etc...but ya first answer instinct of playing for a lifetime based on what the table is doing...usually though you want to be able to catch etc...have outs that type of thing

Top 10 Games