najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Even prime hands can cause dilemmas. Here's a situation that occurs more often than we'd like it to:

You're in a low buy-in MTT, about 4 or 5 players to the money. You're at a table where there's a lot of action, and you have a healthy stack, 67 BBs, way above average.
You raise 3x UTG with KK, to your surprise, the CO, only Nit at the table shoves about 23 BBs and while you started thinking about it, the BB isolated with almost 50 BBs.

What would you guys do in this situation?

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I'd call.
You know that the CO wouldn't shove unless he has a prime hand, let alone if the BB wakes up with AA.
Even with AK, he still has almost 30% equity against you, more than 33% if suited.
I'm not saying the call is a bad play, it only depends on whether you want to gamble or get ITM 1st.

R

rsparente

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
That's the thing, if you "follow" Jonathan Little you'd be more aggressive, there is no point in making ITM for peanuts. In bubble situation I have seen many nit players in low stakes trying to be tricky.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
That's the thing, if you "follow" Jonathan Little you'd be more aggressive, there is no point in making ITM for peanuts. In bubble situation I have seen many nit players in low stakes trying to be tricky.
That's one way to look at it, and there's nothing wrong with it. That hand could be the best opportunity of the game since winning it would probably take you all the way to the top spots where the money is.
I guess it all boils down to our preferences and the state of our BR. If I'm broke and in need of any amount, I would fold, but with a healthy BR, I'm certainly calling...

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Tough spot. With a very healthy stack & just several places to ITM. I probably will not gamble & fold.
I totally agree with you except if I have a nice BR already, in which case I'd be more inclined to take a chance.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have 67bb the effective stack is 50bb that means you would have 17bb left to get ITM---If you use Equilab and put in the ranges and look at your equity. A nit can have AA KK AK QQ JJ TT AQS and still shove the Btn. The other player will flat AA most often can have KK QQ JJ TT AK AQ---Vs those ranges and being able to min cash if we lose EASY CALL---Even with 0 BR easy call--If we lose we lose but strong poker strategy is to not fold KK because they might have AA :unsure::geek:

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A good question for those who like to bet like me, pay to see, but it will depend on my day, if I'm on a positive dayor negative, positive would discard, negative would bet to see the disaster that would happen

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
What stack do you have at the table, I think I would take advantage of the stack position by making some fold considering the possible losses by selling the flop.
It is clear that I need to update google translate 🙄 It seems to me quite often.
I really have a barrier to conversation, I use myself as a translator and it's all laughable
I think I have to go crazy, so as not to be understood that way.

Last edited:

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd call, but be aware enough to know that a post-flop fold isn't a bad play, if there is an over-card, connectors, or a pair on the board.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
If we lose we lose but strong poker strategy is to not fold KK because they might have AA
positive would discard, negative would bet to see the disaster that would happen
I'd call, but be aware enough to know that a post-flop fold isn't a bad play, if there is an over-card, connectors, or a pair on the board.

Thank you for your input guys. Even though the opinions are different, I think they're all legit.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
What stack do you have at the table, I think I would take advantage of the stack position by making some fold considering the possible losses by selling the flop.
It is clear that I need to update google translate 🙄 It seems to me quite often.
I really have a barrier to conversation, I use myself as a translator and it's all laughable
I think I have to go crazy, so as not to be understood that way.

I think you're doing a good job with the translation. I always understand what you write.
Besides, a lot of us here were not born in an English-speaking country, so we're doing what we can. The important is to keep improving. And I think being a CC member helps in that matter too.