How to play "strong" hands out of position

A

anthanhct

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
VN
Chips
I'm struggling with playing hands like J-J, 10-10, or A-J out of position. Sometimes I choose to just skip the hand.
Any opinion on this, guys? Limping or taking the lead?

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well, considering that you are out of position these hands should be played with more caution. You need to look at the table and try to predict what will happen after you speak. A small increase to 2BB seems like the most realistic option. But if the table is very aggressive maybe just call.
What you can't do is let go of these hands when the action hasn't even started yet.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm struggling with playing hands like J-J, 10-10, or A-J out of position. Sometimes I choose to just skip the hand.
Any opinion on this, guys? Limping or taking the lead?
We often want to be playing JJ TT in all spots even in the blinds-- AJ we want to be more selective about when in the blinds facing EP opens but we will 100% open then decide on next actions. Vs tight players we will most often be folding AJoff to 3 bets oop.
The key to these hands is knowing our Villain's ranges. If our V only 3 bet tight ranges and by tight I mean TT+ AQ+ then we can either set mine or fold the pairs preflop if our table is normally passive---exploit play means we do not need to take sub 50% equity spots if we will frequently be in 70% eq spots later.

If we are getting the odds to set mine and our V will play for stacks if we hit then set mine is the best option. However if we are going to be forced to fold on the flop as our V are going to bet pot on the flop most often we need 20-1 to set mine.

Our V post flop play also dictates how we play vs tighter ranges if they will let us realize equity by becoming passive post flop then we do not need 20-1 to set mine 10-1 is fine
With JJ and TT we will need to bluff post flop at some frequency to win -so we need to study post flop bluffing in 3-bet pots

:unsure::poop:

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Out of position with any hand, including AA, is difficult to play.
For one, it’s going to be tough to make money from this position with a big hand, you are acting first each street and the opponent can just fold.
Just learn to play cautiously and try to never play a big pot out of position, save that for in position if you can.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands