How to be the best players vs variance ?

anasslaaleg

anasslaaleg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to know how you manage to progress and move up a stack during periods of stagnation and how you manage to find stability in your progression ?

R

rsparente

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Find tables/games you can win, don't get much on "fancy playing" and adjust your game to the game you are playing. It's easier said than done, otherwise I'd be a poker millionaire already.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I want to know how you manage to progress and move up a stack during periods of stagnation and how you manage to find stability in your progression ?
I'm interested in the same question.
You may not be afraid to play all sorts of crap, the main thing is not to get carried away

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Only one cure for variance: VOLUME.

Most players that only play 4 tables or less have no clue how bad they can run even against total idiots.

And my main experience is from Cash Games 100-200BB deep.

If you play MTTs with shorter stacks even the pros have a very, very small edge.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, poker is a hobby, so my growth as a player happens by itself. I just play, as always I try to be patient and disciplined, and this conservative approach gives me good results.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Only one cure for variance: VOLUME.

Most players that only play 4 tables or less have no clue how bad they can run even against total idiots.

And my main experience is from Cash Games 100-200BB deep.

If you play MTTs with shorter stacks even the pros have a very, very small edge.
I like that idea. It is easy to visualize, too. If I want to win 3 tourneys, and I am only playing 10 tourneys, it might not be as easy to accomplish the goal as trying to win 3 tourneys in 100 tourneys.

The other way I deal with variance would be since I am a conservative player and play fewer hands, it might make sense for me to play at a table where I am not the blind so frequently. So I might choose to play a 9 or 10 person table while I pokey doke getting around to finding 2 cards I would like to play. An aggressive player against me who loves to raise frequently pre-flop and maniac players have a definite advantage when I sit at a heads up or 6 person table.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi :)
Every player has periods of growth and periods of decline. During growth periods, I try to be active so as not to waste time. In the periods of decline, I try to minimise potential losses and move forward very carefully, step by step, to the best of my ability.
Good luck :)

P

puzzlefish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Play within your limits and mix up your games so you have some satellites in there too, if you play tournaments. Recognize when it is variance vs. just playing badly and playing difficult games with decent players.

anasslaaleg

anasslaaleg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Find tables/games you can win, don't get much on "fancy playing" and adjust your game to the game you are playing. It's easier said than done, otherwise I'd be a poker millionaire already.
I wish you good luck, regarding the tables I play all types of cash game games Sit and go MTT, I find that MTTs are more profitable for my situation, I can't exploit cash game games, I don't have enough experience yet to beat cash game tables, on the other hand I play a lot of micro MTTs, I have a lot of trouble making paying places especially at the beginning of building a bankroll I make mistakes I call with a wide range of cards and I find myself out of tournaments before the paying places, And it is because of the lack of patience that I have to work harder and not have clear objectives.

anasslaaleg

anasslaaleg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm interested in the same question.
You may not be afraid to play all sorts of crap, the main thing is not to get carried away
i want to know how to keep focus at multi tabling ?

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think the best drug whan you have dipresion is when you do something else for a example: read books, walk on the street, meditation doing sports exisairhes and so on

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found this --> Antonio Esfandiari's 10 tips for tournament play:

1. Patience is golden. Hunting for a double can get expensive early on, when it doesn't matter much.

2. Play strong, aggressive and confident.

3. Play to win. If you only play to avoid losses, you will never reach the top.

4. Steal the pot, and steal another if the opponents kindly allow it. On the third time you will already face resistance, so next time raise only with a big hand.

5. The value of pocket jacks is relative to the composition of the table. If the opponents are weaker or looser than average, play the jacks strong. You should be more careful on a table that is harder or tighter than average. If a raise, a re-raise and a call come first, the jacks fly to the deck.

6. Play the players, not your cards. Punish bet chasers when they don't catch their outs. Even if it seems like you're always being pulled over, most of the time you're not.

7. Inexperienced players usually play book poker. Their raises often mean a monster.

8. bluff only players who know how to fold.

9. Always bet the same amount with bluffs and real hands. Opponents will eventually make a mistake. Annie Duke has said, "If you're not bluffing once in a while, you're not playing right."

10. Chips are only game tools. You will win more if you let go of the fear of losing them.

ming73098

ming73098

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think playing tables with high blinds properly will help you improve

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
No way, I need to leave and not play for a week.No-limit poker has much higher variance than limit poker because in limit games the amount of money players can put into the pot relative to the size of the blinds is much smaller than in no-limit games. And the more money you risk, the higher the variance.There are certainly many more factors in poker that will influence in one way or another the variance you will encounter throughout your career.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the only curve for variance is volume as mentioned above me.

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
First find out where you're failing, then study some moves and then see how other players play your hands, this way you'll find different alternatives and then you'll choose the best one and try to move forward.

L

La reytor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Playing responsibly and not playing outside the bankroll. If you deposit $200, only play NL2 and in this way you protect your bankroll from bad luck and with time, once you have that security, you can go up to NL5 and NL10.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
I think you have identified some of your own solutions, ... if you find yourself with a lack of patience and are playing too many hands then that's something you need to work on, play a few games at the same time if possible so you don't get too impatient or distracted, ...watch a movie if you have to, construct a range and stick to it, playing too many hands is the number one mistake I see players make. Variance is just something that evens out over time, putting in more volume will help but poker is a long term game in that sense, ...patience grasshopper lol

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In an MTT you don't need to have stable progression. You identify 'spots' where you can acquire chips. You play each & every spot optimally.
We don't force a situation that isn't there.

Are you referring to a particular tournament OR the poker journey as a whole?