The Deadly "Check": When Inactivity Is the Best Move?

douglasrann

douglasrann

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever been in a hand where everything inside you screamed to raise, but deep down something told you, “hold on”? If I raise too much, I might scare the player off, and they’ll fold with my best hand. Then you think, if I raise too much, they might fold, but if I don’t raise enough, they might call, and I could lose on the flop. The check seems like the most passive move in poker, but sometimes, it’s a true masterstroke, a silent poison. How do you balance that fine line between passivity and aggression in critical moments of the game?

hardongear

hardongear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
When I got the best of it I'm NEVER betting when I know for a fact the aggressive player behind me will do it for me every time.

Paraphrasing some here. But Phil Helmuth once said(I believe in his first book) "why push the cart up the hill when the donkey will eagerly and willing push it there for you?" 20+ years later I'm still making easy money this way. Helmuth's next line went something like this "never interrupt(don't bet) the donkey when he's working hard"

The great thing about the donkey he'll work hard as hell pulling that cart up the hill and is so stupid he'll never learn not to pull the cart up the hill. I love sitting to the right of the dumb aggressive donkey. Most players hate them seats but really they are much worse seats.

Cheers!!!

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
A check is neither passive or aggressive. I always used to think of it as a passive play but then when you start knowing how your opponent is playing you can use the check to induce a bet if thats your goal for the hand. Being mindful of how much to bet or raise against your opponents should always be a factor before you even do it. Poker is fun because we never really know how much is too much and how much is too little to bet until we do it. We can only make good educated guesses based on skills we learn and experience. Good luck and have fun!

Flyer35

Flyer35

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Have you ever been in a hand where everything inside you screamed to raise, but deep down something told you, “hold on”? If I raise too much, I might scare the player off, and they’ll fold with my best hand. Then you think, if I raise too much, they might fold, but if I don’t raise enough, they might call, and I could lose on the flop. The check seems like the most passive move in poker, but sometimes, it’s a true masterstroke, a silent poison. How do you balance that fine line between passivity and aggression in critical moments of the game?
I usually just go ahead and bet anyway unless I know my opponent is likely to bet with nothing. Otherwise, if my opponent has a crap hand he's not going to call at any point unless something stupid comes up on the river like the 4th card to a straight or flush, which I generally don't want to see.

L

La reytor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
That's a very interesting question and reflects the complexity of poker. Balancing passivity and aggression in those critical moments requires a combination of intuition, reading players, and a good understanding of table dynamics.

First, it's critical to assess the situation: how have your opponents played so far? If you know a player folds easily to a raise, then an aggressive play might be more effective. But if he's a quieter player who doesn't panic, you might opt for a more passive approach, hoping he'll feel confident and make a bigger bet later.

Also, consider the texture of the board and the community cards. If the flop is favorable to your cards, a bet or a raise can maximize your profits. But if the board is dangerous, a check can be a smarter strategy to induce your opponents to bet.

The key is adaptability. Sometimes, checking can serve to confuse your opponents and make them feel more comfortable, which can lead to them betting later. The art of poker lies in reading those signals and adjusting your game according to the context, always keeping in mind the balance between being aggressive and being cunning.

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Aways that you have a not so good hand but especially in the ICM like final table.
Sometimes just waiting a good hand is more than enough to win.
God bless
Go for the gold