Bluffing the Truth: The Role of Deception in Poker

douglasrann

douglasrann

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker, there are players who seem like they never fold no matter what. But how far is it worth pushing the bluff? It seems like sometimes these players just never give up… What’s the line between a calculated bluff and desperation disguised as strategy? Tell me, what’s the most memorable bluff you’ve ever pulled off (or fallen for)?

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Not sure to be honest.....but they key is to never ever bluff the types of players you describe. If you don't have a feeling that a player will likely fold, then don't bluff. It should never ever be out of desperation!!

Recently I called a big river bluff, as I had finally started to learn how to spot a bluff, for example, lots of draws missed, his likely holdings had most likely not connected. I was very happy with myself, it showed me the progression in my game.

douglasrann

douglasrann

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure to be honest.....but they key is to never ever bluff the types of players you describe. If you don't have a feeling that a player will likely fold, then don't bluff. It should never ever be out of desperation!!

Recently I called a big river bluff, as I had finally started to learn how to spot a bluff, for example, lots of draws missed, his likely holdings had most likely not connected. I was very happy with myself, it showed me the progression in my game.
Okay, if you had a good impression with this style of play, I'll also try to follow this advice for now.

Mbushe

Mbushe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
NA
Chips

I definitely agree with not bluffing against those, personally I'm only in bluff mode if I'm close to getting a something like an open ended straight or a flush, or if my cards are stronger than the one's in the river and the others are just checking... and if I end up not getting that flush or straight then I just to go through with the bluffing.

kishamania

kishamania

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
I think calling bluffs is much more fun than bluffing you. However, I'll tell you, when they buy, seeing a monster hand on the river after a call is very disappointing and dangerous for your stack

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
In poker, there are players who seem like they never fold no matter what. But how far is it worth pushing the bluff? It seems like sometimes these players just never give up… What’s the line between a calculated bluff and desperation disguised as strategy? Tell me, what’s the most memorable bluff you’ve ever pulled off (or fallen for)?
You kind of have to understand why a calling station is a calling station. They fear being bluffed. They would rather call all the way down with their hand, even if it’s just Ace high sometimes, because the last thing they want is to be bluffed and feel stupid at the table. So don’t bluff a Station ever! Any bets should be for value against these players.