The prodigal son has returned - Advice needed!

N

Nincompoop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PH
Chips
I'm a returning poker player. I used to play in my 20's then stopped because I have a family to feed. I'm 35 now and I want to play again. I have a problem though, I'm scared to start playing real money again. Any advise?

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey, welcome back! I would suggest playing freerolls or micro stakes to ease yourself back into the game, then when you are feeling more confident play the stakes you are most comfortable playing. Don't play for money you aren't willing to lose. Know your limits and go from there. Also there is a ton of valuable information you can find on Cardschat and other sources to refresh your knowledge of the game. Good luck!

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm a returning poker player. I used to play in my 20's then stopped because I have a family to feed. I'm 35 now and I want to play again. I have a problem though, I'm scared to start playing real money again. Any advise?
The easiest advice is to play freerolls. Yes, and there's nothing bad about it if you don't want to risk your money. Choose a poker room where you want to play and start right now. I'm sure you'll gradually remember all your skills and then you can decide whether to continue playing freerolls or invest money to play in more solid tournaments. Good luck! ;)

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Welcome back, I am not sure if your country restricts sites you can play on, however, if you can play on GG Poker there is a daily Freebie which gives you a cost free opportunity to earn some $$, Also on Replay if you are qualified you can play the Daily Community games from CardsChat. If playing free rolls check to see if there are add ons if so they won't be free...Good Luck and enjoy

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
If you've a family to feed (been there), you're better off putting the overtime in in your day job (also been there).

The last thing you should be doing is pissing money up the wall playing poker.

P

puzzlefish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you play the freerolls on this site and participate in the community events, you can build up a bank roll with no risk to you.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't deposit yet, play the cardchat freerolls tournaments, each level you are at you can play freerolls

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my advice is - play freeroll and micro tournaments or sit and go micro.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Hey, welcome back! :)
Start with freerolls, and enjoy the game... good luck ;)

Delenia

Delenia

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Play freerolls until you have won enough to use the winnings as your buy in. Then you are risking nothing and getting in the practice you need.
GL!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are two sites where you pay a monthly fee clubgg and clubwpt and then compete for money and prizes perhaps they might help you become comfortable again knowing your downside is limited but upside is not capped:unsure::geek:

Igor G

Igor G

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
All you need to get started is some free time. If you have free time, money will not be a problem, especially since you are a member of our community :)
All you need to do now is to be an active participant in CardsChat, publish quality posts and gradually fulfil all the conditions for joining our platinum freeroll club. Once you become our platinum member, you will be able to build up your bankroll quickly enough by playing our great daily and weekly freerolls.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My best advice is don't start. Failing that, start with a hundred dollar bankroll and play micro-tournaments only. Or better still, start with freerolls.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hello tramp, play freerolls and don't be afraid of anyone.

BudBerma

BudBerma

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Welcome back. I recently returned myself. I have been playing freerolls and micro stakes. There's not much to lose (sometimes nothing) in those games. I also invested a little time and money in training to help me build a bankroll and prepare me to playing higher stakes.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I agree that freerolls are a great way to get back into poker and potentially build a bankroll.

I would also suggest speaking to your wife/husband and agreeing an amount that you would both be OK with you losing. Of Course everyone's situation is different, so this amount will vary from person to person and maybe that amount is zero. The important thing here is speak to your spouse! Spending money on poker (or anything really) without a full and honest discussion with your partner is a bad place to be in and can increase the fear/anxiety of losing.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Build a bankroll and get comfortable playing with freerolls,you will play with all type of players, observe them and increase your observing skill.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Start studying because poker has changed a lot in the last 10-15 years.

C

Cooking

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way is to just play freerolls and then play with the freeroll money, so, even if you lose, you will not feel that bad.

hardongear

hardongear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Welcome back man.

No reason to be scared, nervous or worried. I see many have suggested getting back into it with CC Freerolls which isn't a terrible idea and actually a pretty good one. You can simply start there if you want. At the same time you can also...

What I would do is deposit $50 on your favorite site and start at 2nl full-ring tables. 2nl full-ring cash will be the easiest, softest and offer less variance then anything else you can find right now online. 2nl is nothing to be scared of and still pretty easily beatable even today in 2024.

There's also no reason to spend money on poker info, knowledge, courses, books or anything like that. There's enough free stuff on the internet too be found that can have your game beating 2nl, 5nl and even 10nl. Be forewarned thou it might not be as easy nowadays as what you were use back when you use to play.

Best of luck man.

Cheers!!!