Poker People

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Poker people are sharp, they are funny, the are effervescent and they are vivacious - full of life. They have strong hopes and dreams and are used to taking chances and living on their wits. They are sometimes social animals, the life and soul of the party, but they can often do their best work alone, or at least behind a computer screen.

Poker people have stories. They lean towards being excited by travel and learning new cultures. They love nothing more than tasting new experiences. They will always be making new stories. They will have a keen sense of humour which they will also turn on themselves, especially when relating bad luck stories against insurmountable odds. Sometimes if you can't laugh, even at your own expense, you're in big trouble. Poker people are continually having their ego tested. They don't even realise it some of the time.

Poker people have hit the highs and the lows which makes them emotionally tough on the outside and more resilient, balanced, and understanding on the inside. They are not easy to shock or surprise or shake or make unsteady. They will be quick thinkers in a crisis, resourceful and capable of switching from strike mode to defensive mode and vice versa, in an instant.

Poker people have good instincts and thus can be very difficult to mislead, trick or hoodwink or fool.

Poker people have a high level of mathematical reasoning, they are used to computing odds in a split second and acting on that data to maximum effect.

Poker people multi task. Some play up to 20 tables at a time online. Not everyone. The other day, playing just the one table, I managed to lose most of my stack with pocket aces whilst burning my garlic bread.

I then salvaged the garlic bread the best I could and went on to win the tournament from little more than a chip and a chair. Again, poker people are resilient.

Poker people can also be highly creative creatures. They can create whole worlds in their minds where they have the best cards in any possible situation. They are invincible. They are masters of disguise, giving the impression that they are so indefatigable that even the mightiest cannot slay them. But invincibility shields are things of fantasy and myth and legend. Everyone is susceptible to a rogue river card. Everyone can be susceptible to delusion.

Poker people are just like you and me.

Some poker people exude patience, waiting for hours for the perfect cards to make their move, while on the other extreme, I once watched Gus Hanson, in a 6-handed game, dominate a very short match by going all in every hand.

What traits do you recognise in other poker people? Good and bad?

And what skills has poker taught you that you have taken into general life?

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There are many truths in what you say.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One good thing I learned from poker is to look for the lowest price, save money and invest in the long term, like in stocks or savings.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hey Phil, your description is way too good and inclusive that it leaves no room for any additions or comments.
It is also very pleasant to read, thank you for sharing.

10gerka

10gerka

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker you will find many challenges, it is expected that you can face them in the best way to obtain results, it is recommended to play approximately 10 tables, I think that otherwise you would be playing like a robot and not think much about each play.

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
In poker you will find many challenges, it is expected that you can face them in the best way to obtain results, it is recommended to play approximately 10 tables, I think that otherwise you would be playing like a robot and not think much about each play.

I need the 'hands on feeling' I get from playing the one table. I've tried multiple tables and even two is too many - too much information to take in.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker has brought many positive changes to my life. First of all, thanks to poker, I realized how important it is to be patient. In fact, this understanding has changed my life quite a bit, my concept of life in general. Thanks to poker, I also became more disciplined and more consistent in achieving my life goals. Thanks to poker, I just became less emotional, more calm and focused. I became a better person :)

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Lovely to hear.

I expect there will be both positive and negative consequences of poker in this thread. Always good to hear the positive.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
People who play poker often share similar psychological traits, though individual differences remain significant. Common traits include high levels of patience and discipline, as successful poker players must wait for optimal hands and avoid impulsive decisions. They tend to have strong analytical skills, capable of calculating odds and making data-driven decisions. Resilience is crucial, as players must handle losses without emotional breakdowns. Emotional control is another shared trait, enabling players to manage stress. Additionally, strategic thinking and adaptability are key, allowing players to adjust their tactics based on evolving game dynamics.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Poker people are sharp, they are funny, the are effervescent and they are vivacious - full of life. They have strong hopes and dreams and are used to taking chances and living on their wits. They are sometimes social animals, the life and soul of the party, but they can often do their best work alone, or at least behind a computer screen.

Poker people have stories. They lean towards being excited by travel and learning new cultures. They love nothing more than tasting new experiences. They will always be making new stories. They will have a keen sense of humour which they will also turn on themselves, especially when relating bad luck stories against insurmountable odds. Sometimes if you can't laugh, even at your own expense, you're in big trouble. Poker people are continually having their ego tested. They don't even realise it some of the time.

Poker people have hit the highs and the lows which makes them emotionally tough on the outside and more resilient, balanced, and understanding on the inside. They are not easy to shock or surprise or shake or make unsteady. They will be quick thinkers in a crisis, resourceful and capable of switching from strike mode to defensive mode and vice versa, in an instant.

Poker people have good instincts and thus can be very difficult to mislead, trick or hoodwink or fool.

Poker people have a high level of mathematical reasoning, they are used to computing odds in a split second and acting on that data to maximum effect.

Poker people multi task. Some play up to 20 tables at a time online. Not everyone. The other day, playing just the one table, I managed to lose most of my stack with pocket aces whilst burning my garlic bread.

I then salvaged the garlic bread the best I could and went on to win the tournament from little more than a chip and a chair. Again, poker people are resilient.

Poker people can also be highly creative creatures. They can create whole worlds in their minds where they have the best cards in any possible situation. They are invincible. They are masters of disguise, giving the impression that they are so indefatigable that even the mightiest cannot slay them. But invincibility shields are things of fantasy and myth and legend. Everyone is susceptible to a rogue river card. Everyone can be susceptible to delusion.

Some poker people exude patience, waiting for hours for the perfect cards to make their move, while on the other extreme, I once watched Gus Hanson, in a 6-handed game, dominate a very short match by going all in every hand.

you could write books about poker, you would do well

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Thank you! But I don't have the formal training or the manual study of poker theory.

My poker play is visceral. Same as my music. It would all be stories and anecdotes and waffle.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I like to hold everything in my hands. That's why in poker I play most often on the batton, and in everyday life I rarely ride the elevator. :ROFLMAO:

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The one thing I've definitely noticed, poker has taught me that there's always the other side of an odds equation. I used to think that a 1 or 2% chance of something happening was the same as zero. I now know that was an overly optimistic assessment. Bad things that are only supposed to happen 1 - 2% of the time seem to happen a LOT more than I'd like. Good things that are supposed to happen 80% of the time rarely seem to meet that goal.

I never expect to win a hand that I'm heavily favored to win.

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
The one thing I've definitely noticed, poker has taught me that there's always the other side of an odds equation. I used to think that a 1 or 2% chance of something happening was the same as zero. I now know that was an overly optimistic assessment. Bad things that are only supposed to happen 1 - 2% of the time seem to happen a LOT more than I'd like. Good things that are supposed to happen 80% of the time rarely seem to meet that goal.

I never expect to win a hand that I'm heavily favored to win.

Possibly some of the wisest words I could have read. So accurate.

We 'clashed' on the first hand of a tournament once. AK v KK. I don't know if you remember. Maybe 3/4 weeks ago. I saw your Kings and I knew in my heart I wasn't going to catch an ace that day. I bet you thought the total opposite, waiting for every next card to be an ace. 🤣

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found the opposite in some live tables. Rude, unfriendly players, dour hours spent with unsociable players.

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poker and People and People and Life could be interchangeable.
When I started to play poker on pokerstars, I was already 55 years old. I played the 10,000 people tournament freerolls and won over 24 tickets to real money tourneys. I made the final table maybe 5 times and finished 1st, once. Time and Patience and SUPER SYSTEM, by Doyle Brunson is all I had.

The thing that surprised me the most about Poker was how similar to real life it was. Like in your career you can do everything perfect and unfortunately not get the promotion. In poker you play the best starting hand AA perfectly and lose to a bigger stack that hits his trip deuces.
Thank you for your saying. I am just a nobody that became addicted to poker. And now trying to slow down and play less poker.

Quote by Mike Sexton:
The name of the game is no-limit Texas Hold'em, the game that takes a minute to learn but a lifetime to master.

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Possibly some of the wisest words I could have read. So accurate.

We 'clashed' on the first hand of a tournament once. AK v KK. I don't know if you remember. Maybe 3/4 weeks ago. I saw your Kings and I knew in my heart I wasn't going to catch an ace that day. I bet you thought the total opposite, waiting for every next card to be an ace. 🤣
I literally always do that. :)

BTW - busting on the first hand of a tournament has become kind of my speciality, so I'm always pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen. I did it the other day with pocket Aces.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I agree, you have good points.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Very very beautifully written, as always!! 👏👏👏👍❤️

What poker taught me is how big of a part to this game is about psychology and mindset, and that although it seems you are playing other players, the real, the toughest and oftentimes the only opponent you have is yourself 😫😔 Just like in life, really.

The wisdom of @Flyer35 to never expect a hand with 1-2% equity to win is not yet learnt by me (here I am actually being sad that I have just busted two tournaments in a row on postflop being a big favourite, but with a lot less equity than 98-99% 🤣 more like 85%, so I have a looot to learn, sigh 😔)

Ogma

Ogma

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
What poker taught me is how big of a part to this game is about psychology and mindset, and that although it seems you are playing other players, the real, the toughest and oftentimes the only opponent you have is yourself 😫😔 Just like in life, really.
Such truth, and wisdom. 🌟

The great players play outside of themselves, they play within a strategic framework and then mix it the fk up. They don't have themselves to beat. Ego-free poker.

I've been thinking a bit about barriers and limits in life and taking the next step and the timing involved and also just as a mental exercise, applying that to poker. The benefits of steady, organic growth. That time when you know you are right, you should win and you know you have the better cards but if you play them, your gut tells you there's a strong chance you're going to lose. I lost a huge pot earlier, A10 v 10 5. All I had to fkn do for 2 cards was fade a 5. But everything was riding on it. No prizes for guessing the ending.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi :)
Thanks to poker, I've definitely become more patient. Thanks to poker, I realised how important our patience is and how much it affects our results in general. In my opinion, our patience is the most necessary component for our development, progress and, most importantly, for achieving our goals. People who lack patience very rarely achieve their goals. Lack of patience is a significant disadvantage that hinders our progress.

hardongear

hardongear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
You pretty much nailed it Omga and a lot of what you said I couldn't have said it better myself.

The only thing I'd disagree with is the math part and this part in general "high level of mathematical reasoning". One doesn't need to have a high level of mathematical reasoning to be a winning player. One can have a pretty basic level of math reasoning and be a winning player. Poker math can actually be made pretty simple. You need nothing above a high school understanding(not the new high school math either). 70's, 80's and 90's high school math. Take that new math they're teaching and throw it in the garbage lol.

Cheers!!!

s0ftdumps

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
People who play poker often share similar psychological traits, though individual differences remain significant. Common traits include high levels of patience and discipline, as successful poker players must wait for optimal hands and avoid impulsive decisions. They tend to have strong analytical skills, capable of calculating odds and making data-driven decisions. Resilience is crucial, as players must handle losses without emotional breakdowns. Emotional control is another shared trait, enabling players to manage stress. Additionally, strategic thinking and adaptability are key, allowing players to adjust their tactics based on evolving game dynamics.
These traits not only contribute to success at the poker table but also have broader applications in life, helping individuals navigate complex situations and make sound decisions under pressure. While these traits are common, it's important to remember that each player brings a unique blend of qualities and experiences, making the game as diverse as it is challenging.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me poker people are just the same as chess people or people who bet on the horses, a complete mix of different
characters and temperaments. i have met nice people on the poker table and some not nice ones, some chatty ones and
some who say nothing.
All types of people do all types of things and you can-t define them by certain traits, in my opinion anyway.