Is playing Poker an investment?

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing poker for fur for 5 years, now that I have a job I think about raising stakes and invest some money in poker, is that a good idea?

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
keep in mind that life isn't a never ending process and time is a major investment tool.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Never lose sight of good "balance" in your life and the "opportunity cost" of your time playing poker. How you live your life and the time devoted to different things, in fact, is an investment. Shouldn't one at least consider "diversification" as part of any investment style? Good luck with your decision.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is very similar to investments.

You have expect value in both, you have ROI in both, and you have risk of ruin in both.

There is a reason you see so many accountants and investment professionals playing poker.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Do you have enough money to service your day to day living expenses. Remember only the top 5% make money from this game. Do you you think you are the equivalent of an IM or GM chess player. That is what the top professionals in poker have have reached.
Keep your job and be happy playing poker for leisure. Don't get sucked down the rabbit hole. These sharks will gobble you up.

Igor G

Igor G

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I've been playing poker for fur for 5 years, now that I have a job I think about raising stakes and invest some money in poker, is that a good idea?
Whether this is a good idea depends on your skills and your income level. This might be a good idea if you've had good results before.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your dedication and interest. It's a long walk.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Not a good Idea IMO, especially if you're willing to play online.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends on if you can afford to lose that money, and if you are a good enough player? I have been playing for 20 years now and still have not made a single deposit and the reason for that is I am a patient player, I play only for fun, and I don't like to lose my money.
I have built several Bankrolls from playing free-rolls and only ever make a withdrawal, when something changes on the poker sites I have tried On one site they used the excuse that not enough players were interested in playing Poker so they closed it and transferred all my money into their Sports betting site.
The truth was they only offered a $20 freeroll once every night, and there were only about 30-40 players that registered for it, If they had really wanted to increase the number of players they should have tried to increase the number or freerolls or prize money, but who am I to tell them how to run a business? So I took my £150 Bankroll and left.
Many people have done exactly the same as me, and play quite happily playing freerolls, building a bankroll, and then start to buy into Ring games and Tournaments. Club WPT offer playing Poker as much as you want for about $20 a month, winning cash and Prizes, But I promised my Wife "I would Never lose a Dime Playing Poker" So have never made a single deposit.
Poker can be anything you want, a hobby and a bit of fun and relaxation or a means to become a Professional player making a living from it, that comes back to how good you are? If that is what you want, then go for it and good luck! but DON'T! Fall into the trap of throwing good money away trying to get your losses back.
Playing good solid Poker is more than winning one Tournament and moving on to the next, It takes Study, Dedication, A good Bankroll Strategy and Patience! I follow Lex Velhuis on "Twitch" and he has played against some of the best Players in Vegas including Daniel Negs, Phil Helmut and Doyle Brunson, and he still spends one day a week studying the Game.
I sincerely do wish you all the best and good luck for the future!

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
As long as you are willing to prepare yourself by dedicating a part of your time to study poker it will always be a good idea and good investment because there is a lot you can achieve if you strive to improve more every day.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, I think if you want earn more money you need improve your skills playing póker, searching and reading strategies that help you to be good player, and always control your bankroll, and don't use money that could affect your life, be responsible with that.
Good luck.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes. I think it's possible and everything will depend on how you face it. How much you invest in it, make an effort to study and improve your techniques more and more.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely. There is no reason poker can not become a part time income. But you have to keep control of your emotions and your bankroll. Poker is a very volatile game and it can be easy to lose control. You also need to dedicate part of your poker time toward study. Only invest money you can afford to lose, and make sure other financial parts of your life are the number one priority.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it would be nice to invest to play a little, but to invest ONLY 1% OF YOUR SALARY, that's just what I think and I don't think it compromises your income.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on many things : your personal level at poker, the fact that you can (or not) afford to lose the money you want to invest, the time you can spend to play. So it depends... ;)

Jamil

Jamil

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Yes, why not, the most important thing is to keep your job and not put all your money

JetmirDulja

JetmirDulja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Playing poker is a hobby, is an obsession addiction almost but I don’t think it’s and investment … you have to be really good and careful about how to play to be called that .

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't think it's wrong to invest, for starters (it doesn't matter how many years you've played) it's about time not money until you're sure of yourself

drinker

drinker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think only professional players can consider poker in the context of an investment project. If an amateur player thinks about such investments, it will most likely be a black hole. Although, maybe I'm wrong :)

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If you have experience of playing plus, then perhaps this is a good idea, but you need to understand that it is a very risky method of investment. I would choose a different method, poker only from the easy money side.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't think investing in poker would be overly advisable since you're working for a living. Now I would say this, you should invest in yourself in improving your poker game skills. Yes that could include you funds in the improvement. Just moving up stakes using the money may not be a very smart investment.