Meditating before playing works for me

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately I have read a lot in the forums about bad streaks in poker, many people wonder why is that happening to me?

Well colleagues, I tell you that everything that happens is good and if it happens it is for something and what we must learn is to deal with it, let go of it and move on. You learn from mistakes, they say, and you are able to remedy those mistakes.

You lose for reasons that you know and don't want to accept, economic, family, love and work problems. Your mind is in control of your actions to the point of making you lose focus at a moment (whether in the game or in everyday life). Anger, old age, stress are factors that won't help you react correctly.

Guided Meditation:
Mindfulness is the focusing of attention on the present moment, it is a method for achieving full attention, focusing on what is happening “here and now”, accepting it without further ado, without trying to change or judge anything. Its meaning is full consciousness.

I recommend that you not make this thread extensive, search the internet for videos of at least 10 minutes, do it to the letter (quiet place, comfortable position, among others), do it a few minutes before a poker tournament, before working, getting up in the morning, before sleeping, in the day, when you most need it.

Take 10 minutes or more for yourself, for your body, your mind, your heart, your whole being. Enjoy life, give thanks, and you'll see the result.

I wish you all the best and if you want to ask me something, I will be happy to answer.

Attachments

• DggBV01X4AIYG4Q.jpg
    DggBV01X4AIYG4Q.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 3
  • no_puedes_controlar_los_resultados_solo_tus_acciones_1015_5_600.jpg
    no_puedes_controlar_los_resultados_solo_tus_acciones_1015_5_600.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 3
SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Good, here's a question for you: I see a beggar everyday on my way back home. I COULD help him but every time I choose not to.

What does that make me? A bad person?

10gerka

10gerka

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is very important to always meditate before doing any work, this makes you disconnect from everything, feel an inner peace and total relaxation, that way you will be at your best to play long sessions.

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, here's a question for you: I see a beggar every day on my way back home. I COULD help you, but every time I choose not to.

What does that do to me? A bad person?
It depends, what do you see in that beggar that you don't want to help him? Do you see him drunk? If you think that giving him money will be spent on drugs or food? The best thing even if you don't believe it to talk, the bad thing is that if you give it once maybe it would ask you every day and that would bother you.
You're not a bad person. Your intuition tells you something, decipher it.

It is very important to always meditate before doing any work, this makes you disconnect from everything, feel inner peace and total relaxation, so you will be in your best shape to play long sessions.
That's right buddy.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Dark Lord of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good, here's a question for you: I see a beggar everyday on my way back home. I COULD help him but every time I choose not to.

You cannot help a beggar, no one can. I speak in the first hand because I was a beggar for a couple of days: no matter what you do, you can give clothes, money, breakfast, lunch and dine, and the beggar will continue to be a beggar.
The only way to really help a beggar is to find it a home and a regular job. If the beggar has psychological or drug addiction, also medical support. And we aren’t super heroes, no matter how rich we are, we are not inviting an unknown person to live in the backyard for some flawed sense of altruism.
Citizens can do nothing about it, for this isn’t one’s obligation, but the obligation of the society as a whole, i.e, the political state is the only responsible for this matter.
And when I was sleeping in the streets people gave me money, food but nothing changed: what changed my life was the state that put me in a place financed for society to take care of social calamities.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Dark Lord of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Lately I have read a lot in the forums about bad streaks in poker, many people wonder why is that happening to me?

Well colleagues, I tell you that everything that happens is good and if it happens it is for something and what we must learn is to deal with it, let go of it and move on. You learn from mistakes, they say, and you are able to remedy those mistakes.

You lose for reasons that you know and don't want to accept, economic, family, love and work problems. Your mind is in control of your actions to the point of making you lose focus at a moment (whether in the game or in everyday life). Anger, old age, stress are factors that won't help you react correctly.

Guided Meditation:
Mindfulness is the focusing of attention on the present moment, it is a method for achieving full attention, focusing on what is happening “here and now”, accepting it without further ado, without trying to change or judge anything. Its meaning is full consciousness.

I recommend that you not make this thread extensive, search the internet for videos of at least 10 minutes, do it to the letter (quiet place, comfortable position, among others), do it a few minutes before a poker tournament, before working, getting up in the morning, before sleeping, in the day, when you most need it.

Take 10 minutes or more for yourself, for your body, your mind, your heart, your whole being. Enjoy life, give thanks, and you'll see the result.

I wish you all the best and if you want to ask me something, I will be happy to answer.
This is Buddhism and I love it! Full control of the respiratory system then we achieve full attention to live the present that is the given moment, having no worries about the past or the future, but living NOW, and living for real, full and complete aware of what’s happening, not what happened or not what would happen.
Although I’m Christian, I follow many of the principles of Buddhism, not only in poker but in my entire life.

Peace

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Cannabism. It takes my mind on a nice little journey through itself. It can be a pretty cool place, sometimes. Lately I've been enjoying Glueberry Headband and Lime-Green Skunk. Quite relaxing and puts you in the best mood. :cool:

S

sonikki

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
FI
Chips
Meditation deffinetily helps. Or just workout before session.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the player has a tendency to tilt, then meditation makes sense...

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i tried meditating I'd probably fall asleep and miss late registration !

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I didn't try anything like that before the game, I just go in with the desire to play.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You cannot help a beggar, no one can. I speak in the first hand because I was a beggar for a couple of days: no matter what you do, you can give clothes, money, breakfast, lunch and dine, and the beggar will continue to be a beggar.
The only way to really help a beggar is to find it a home and a regular job. If the beggar has psychological or drug addiction, also medical support. And we aren’t super heroes, no matter how rich we are, we are not inviting an unknown person to live in the backyard for some flawed sense of altruism.
Citizens can do nothing about it, for this isn’t one’s obligation, but the obligation of the society as a whole, i.e, the political state is the only responsible for this matter.
And when I was sleeping in the streets people gave me money, food but nothing changed: what changed my life was the state that put me in a place financed for society to take care of social calamities.
I understand what you're saying but I don't fully agree with parts of it.

Suggesting that I cannot help a beggar with charitable donations is not true. If I am able to show this person that they matter... that I care.. that I acknowledge their presence.. MATTERS and HELPS (imo). Maybe I stop and listen to some of their story. Maybe I give them some money... (I often give them $5 but sometimes I will give them $50 or $100). I am not in a position to do much more.

I have in the past picked up a homeless hitch-hiker on the highway (I was on my way home from Vancouver B.C., a 7hr. drive). When I asked this person where they were headed, they didn't even know where they wanted to be dropped off but then named a city that was 45mins. away. I listened to their story on the drive & shared some of my own... it was obvious to me that this man was an alcoholic. I ended up bringing him back to my home, brought him to AA, got him set up in a Motel (via Salvation Army), & got him a job. He stayed in the community for a few years and stayed sober for 5+yrs.
5yrs. later, I met him in a Treatment Center. He was still trying to stay sober & was there with 2 weeks sober.
Another 20yrs. later, we still keep in touch although he lives 5hrs. away from me.

I know what it is like to have nothing. I know what it is like to receive $1 from someone so that you can purchase a loaf of bread. People showing you they care about you... this helps! It doesn't solve the problem but it definitely helps the person.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Thank you for writing this post/thread. (& sorry for my previous post.... was way off topic but felt strongly about some of the other posts & felt I needed to respond)

I've done some meditation during different times in my life but I always drift away from it. Awhile ago, I was attempting to play poker on a 'full' part-time basis (if that makes any sense LOL).. meaning 2 to 3 FULL days each week. Part of my poker routine included a meditation prior to playing for the day.
For myself, it helped to go for a long walk prior to meditating but also using that walk as part of the process. I know that it helps & it works!

It is interesting to me that I just discovered this post today, the day after I began a challenge to myself, to meditate each day for the next 3 weeks. A coincidence? I think not.

Lots of the top poker players are into meditation.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Guided Meditation:

I am a big supporter of mediation, and it has been a part of my life for about 15 years now and it helps me immensely. One thing I will add that may help you, listen to meditation music when playing poker. I started doing this several years back and I notice my tilt levels dropped massively and to a point I don't tilt much at all anymore. Hope that helps.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I guess this also helpd staying balanced and avoid tilting.

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
YES, that's exactly what I'm doing now during the game, 100% recommended. That way we don't like bad beats so much;)

pankoffff

pankoffff

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Equally important is taking breaks both after playing and before playing, as a daily poker routine can become monotonous.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips

If you have the opportunity, never refuse the needy. Everything returns in triple size, both evil and good. This is the law of the aura.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it is very important to always meditate before doing any work, this makes you disconnect from everything, feel an inner peace and total relaxation, that way you will be at your best to play long sessions.
I agree, mental and emotional balance is one of the most important things in poker.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have never meditated but the approach to poker is interesting I will have to try it!!!

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Meditation is just a psychological term, a confident person will never do this. Maybe it will help someone, but I think it's a waste of time