Could you have a board that no one has ever seen before?

K

kdmeteor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Last night when going to bed, I asked myself this practically-irrelevant-but-interesting-to-me question: how likely is it that there is a board (i.e., the five cards in the middle, in their exact order) that has never been seen before, throughout all games throughout human history?

So let's answer it using MATH. First, the number of boards when considering order is simply 52*51*50*49*48 = 311 875 200, which is roughly 300 million. Now we need to estimate the number of boards that have ever been revealed. I decided that online games don't count for this because well what if a program like Equilab actually "reveal" a gazillion boards to compute a probability; surely those don't count, but if we say that online poker rooms do count, that seems like a slippery slope. So physical cards only.

I asked GPT-4 to estimate the number of physical boards ever revealed then tweaked its numbers. It had some nonsensical assumptions, like that average active player sees 50 flops per year (wtf?)
. I think 10000 is a better estimate here, although then we can divide it by 10 because most flops are shown to around 9 players, and by 10 again because only about a tenth of games go to the River. (We're going to be off by many OOMs here anyway so I don't think we need more precise numbers for this point.) So, assuming there's around 4 million active live poker players alive today, we get around 100 * 4 000 000 Rivers per year. Assuming they've been playing for 50 years, we have 20 000 000 000, or 20 billion, boards seen. Now of course, poker has been around a lot longer than 50 years, but actually in such cases usually the modern times dominate the calculation because of population growth. Roughly a tenth of all people who have ever lived all throughout history are alive today! So I think just making that 30 000 000 000 to account for all prior history is a reasonable guess.

Alright now with 30 billion boards revealed vs. 300 million possible boards, we know that most boards have been revealed many times -- the average one around 100 times, in fact. Which means that next time you play live and get to the River, you can feel a special spiritual connection with a hundred other groups of players throughout history or something. But that doesn't mean that every board has been revealed! If you randomize 200 numbers between 1 and 100, it's actually not at all likely that you'll have gotten each number at least once even though you'll have gotten most of them twice. Ofc since mathematicians love to study elegant sounding things, this is a known problem called the Coupon's Collector Problem, and we know that the expected number of trials to get each and every one of N numbers at least once (given repeated uniform picks) grows asymptotically with N ln(N). Now ln(300 000 000) = 19.519..., so around 20. Which means we'd expect that around 20*300 000 000 = 6 000 000 000 boards have to be revealed until each one is revealed at least once. Since the real number is around 5 times that (30 vs. 6 billion), that means that, no, you cannot see a new board; it's highly likely that every possible board has been revealed already.

... well, except that the number here is only larger by a factor of 5 and I'd expect my estimates to be off by a lot more than that, so the real answer is that idk. Although my gut says we've probably underestimated the number of boards, so I'm still leaning yes.

At least I know one thing for sure, which is that you will never get the 5 minutes of your life back that you just wasted reading about this problem.

Last edited:
F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I absolutely love this. Because people are instantly going to say of course not! But statistically speaking it is possible. Just for example for all those people still saying "No way". Do you think you'd know about it is the board was a royal flush and dealt in the correct order? I don't think that has happened. and even if one has happened I'd just say what about the other 3 suits. Basically there are still possibilities that have not occurred.... ever!

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
I thought I was an overthinker but dammmn..., I'm gonna have to roll this question around in my head the next time I can't sleep lol, a post that someone has put some actual thought into is def not a waste of time :cool:(y)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Don’t bother yourself with philosophical thoughts, the coolest board is if there is a royal flush on it and the winnings are divided among all players.

Luka22guro

Luka22guro

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last night when going to bed, I asked myself this practically-irrelevant-but-interesting-to-me question: how likely is it that there is a board (i.e., the five cards in the middle, in their exact order) that has never been seen before, throughout all games throughout human history?

So let's answer it using MATH. First, the number of boards when considering order is simply 52*51*50*49*48 = 311 875 200, which is roughly 300 million. Now we need to estimate the number of boards that have ever been revealed. I decided that online games don't count for this because well what if a program like Equilab actually "reveal" a gazillion boards to compute a probability; surely those don't count, but if we say that online poker rooms do count, that seems like a slippery slope. So physical cards only.

I asked GPT-4 to estimate the number of physical boards ever revealed then tweaked its numbers. It had some nonsensical assumptions, like that average active player sees 50 flops per year (wtf?)
. I think 10000 is a better estimate here, although then we can divide it by 10 because most flops are shown to around 9 players, and by 10 again because only about a tenth of games go to the River. (We're going to be off by many OOMs here anyway so I don't think we need more precise numbers for this point.) So, assuming there's around 4 million active live poker players alive today, we get around 100 * 4 000 000 Rivers per year. Assuming they've been playing for 50 years, we have 20 000 000 000, or 20 billion, boards seen. Now of course, poker has been around a lot longer than 50 years, but actually in such cases usually the modern times dominate the calculation because of population growth. Roughly a tenth of all people who have ever lived all throughout history are alive today! So I think just making that 30 000 000 000 to account for all prior history is a reasonable guess.

Гаразд, тепер, коли відкрито 30 мільярдів дощок проти 300 мільйонів можливих, ми знаємо, що більшість дощок відкривалися багато разів, а в середньому приблизно 100 разів. Це означає, що наступного разу, коли ви будете грати наживо і потрапите на Рівер, ви зможете відчути особливий духовний зв’язок із сотнею інших груп гравців за всю історію чи щось подібне. Але це не означає, що кожна дошка була розкрита! Якщо ви рандомізуєте 200 чисел від 1 до 100, насправді малоймовірно, що ви отримаєте кожне число принаймні один раз, навіть якщо більшість із них ви отримаєте двічі. Звісно, оскільки математики люблять вивчати елегантно звучачі речі, це відома проблема під назвою « Проблема збирача купонів» , і ми знаємо, що очікувана кількість спроб отримати кожне з N чисел принаймні один раз (враховуючи повторювані однакові вибори) зростає асимптотично з N ln(N). Тепер ln(300 000 000) = 19,519..., тобто близько 20. Це означає, що ми очікуємо, що приблизно 20*300 000 000 = 6 000 000 000 дощок має бути відкрито, доки кожна не буде відкрита принаймні один раз. Оскільки реальне число приблизно в 5 разів більше (30 проти 6 мільярдів), це означає, що ні, ви не можете побачити нову дошку; дуже ймовірно, що всі можливі дошки вже розкрито .

... добре, за винятком того, що число тут більше лише в 5 разів, і я б очікував, що мої оцінки відрізняються набагато більше, тому справжня відповідь така. Хоча мій розум говорить, що ми, ймовірно, недооцінили кількість дощок, тому я все ще схиляюся до так.

Принаймні я точно знаю одне: ви ніколи не повернете тих 5 хвилин свого життя, які ви просто витратили, читаючи про цю проблему.
sounds very interesting and mathematically, and I don't think that it is physically possible to see all possible boards in poker and online without using any programs. even if it is permissible to develop a program that will take into account which boards you have already seen, then you will need more than one lifetime to see all this :)

P

puzzlefish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm going to think about this next time I am all in on a monotone flop with the second highest flush and my opponent calls with aces and the highest flush draw.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Wow man, and I was thinking today that my daily predictions (on NBA and MLB in the "Sports" category on our forum :cool:) are too long and I need to write less words. :unsure: But after your thread I realized that I don't have a problem with the length of the text of my predictions. :ROFLMAO:

s0ftdumps

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
CA
Chips

Alright now with 30 billion boards revealed vs. 300 million possible boards, we know that most boards have been revealed many times -- the average one around 100 times, in fact. Which means that next time you play live and get to the River, you can feel a special spiritual connection with a hundred other groups of players throughout history or something. But that doesn't mean that every board has been revealed! If you randomize 200 numbers between 1 and 100, it's actually not at all likely that you'll have gotten each number at least once even though you'll have gotten most of them twice. Ofc since mathematicians love to study elegant sounding things, this is a known problem called the Coupon's Collector Problem, and we know that the expected number of trials to get each and every one of N numbers at least once (given repeated uniform picks) grows asymptotically with N ln(N). Now ln(300 000 000) = 19.519..., so around 20. Which means we'd expect that around 20*300 000 000 = 6 000 000 000 boards have to be revealed until each one is revealed at least once. Since the real number is around 5 times that (30 vs. 6 billion), that means that, no, you cannot see a new board; it's highly likely that every possible board has been revealed already.

... well, except that the number here is only larger by a factor of 5 and I'd expect my estimates to be off by a lot more than that, so the real answer is that idk. Although my gut says we've probably underestimated the number of boards, so I'm still leaning yes.

At least I know one thing for sure, which is that you will never get the 5 minutes of your life back that you just wasted reading about this problem.
Lots of board are essentially duplicates. like rainbow boards of different suits could be considered equivalent