Could someone who understands the field answer me please?

Luca Santos

Luca Santos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Today I saw a question here, which raised this doubt. Is there any study or research on how many players just play for fun and how many are, say, regulars?

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If it exists I don't know. However, the vast majority of players play more for fun.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
No one will admit that they are playing to win 😏. many will say that they play for fun but when it doesn't work out they will post bad beats🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have not seen direct scientific researches.
But if you watch some streams of poker players on twitch, you can find some serious pro players there,
that categorize the players sometimes in those 2 categories.
I don't think that the categories give really good information and should not be the only source of information for playing decisions.
There are a lot of so called recreational players that are aware of their game and playing style, they know what they do often.
The assumption that recreational players are weak is not always correct.
I mostly hear those categorizing and see it as a form of snobbery. The fact that young guns (beginning 20ies) that categorize players this way
makes me laugh.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Today I saw a question here, which raised this doubt. Is there any study or research on how many players just play for fun and how many are, say, regulars?
That's the fun thing about poker, as players we can do our own research. As far as I can tell the greatest influx of players coming to the party, whether it's online or live, in my region anyway, is late afternoon to early evening. I compare that to the number of players I see regularly during the day. I can determine that most of the players are recreational-reg's. These players may not be "pros", necessarily, but they aren't necessarily fish either.
The majority of the players I run into at the club are ok to good players. There's always that handful of awesome regulars, which would be considered a pro by anyone else, that frequent the club every day and most weekends. These are the most dangerous players in my opinion, but also the easiest to read and potentially bluff. The fishy ones get lucky more because they will often go all-in when behind after a reraise and make their river set or straight.
I think the tables are mostly going to be full of rec players because there are just more of them. Yes, they play mostly for fun because they already have money from their businesses and investments, so poker is another way to have fun like golf or any other competitive activity that doesn't require a lot of physical effort. That's just my opinion.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have not heard anything about such a study, but this information is really interesting. Personally, I play for fun, but I play regularly :)

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
there is no official study on this subject , but if you look at the earnings topic in official online and live games you will see how many players here are very profitable and in general it is a very tough field to beat

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Generally speaking, the majority of players in poker are considered recreational players, also known as casual or amateur players. These players typically play poker for entertainment, enjoyment, and the social aspects of the game. While professional players represent a smaller percentage of the overall player population, they often have a more significant impact on the higher stakes games and professional tournament circuits.

Some recreational players may have advanced poker skills and occasionally compete in higher-stakes games or tournaments. Additionally, some professional players may also engage in poker primarily for recreational purposes or to enjoy the competitive aspect of the game.

The specific breakdown of recreational and professional players can also vary based on the format of the game. For example, online poker platforms may have a higher proportion of recreational players, while live poker rooms or professional tournament circuits may attract a larger number of professional players.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like it seems with everything in poker.......it depends.

In some games you will see 70% regs and in others there may only be 5%.

This is why things like a hud, notes, and color coding players is so important.

Game selection is the one of the most important things to look at in poker, but most players spend the least of amount of time on it.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion it is difficult to establish the amount, many people start playing with the illusion of earning easy money, others as fun/hobby and some as professionals, I started playing between 13 and 15 years old, today I am 68 years old, I play all every day and two or three times a month I go to a poker house, in my case it's fun

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I think that the people who doesn't matter the money could say that they play for fun. All other players play for money. I mean. If you are trying to win money then you are playing not just for fun. There are a lot of good players just playing for fun, playing chips, no real money, on all platforms. They for sure are playing for fun. So. You can investigate how many players are on each platform playing real money, and how many are playing chips. That could give you an idea.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure about the stats but in my experience more play for fun but not regularly, most recreational players plays at the weekends specially sundays.

Luca Santos

Luca Santos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It seems unneeded. What purpose would it be complex data for? Although no one is prevented from doing such a study.
When you think of a population in terms of action, you know the number of people who can or cannot perform a certain action, I think that would be important.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you can see profitable players through the site and see that 50% make a profit and 50% but that's statistics, and if you face it, 20% of the other 80 so just know this and if you lose, you're in that 80% just try to play better and then you'll be better at it

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I've never meet such a statement here (which is a officially) - just opinions...

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
How would such a study help you? What info are you looking for with such a study?

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you think of a population in terms of action, you know the number of people who can or cannot perform a certain action, I think that would be important.
Hi. Would you be stereotyping players based on their playing frequency with a particular playing style? There are 4 basic playing styles which are · Loose Aggressive (LAG) · Tight Aggressive (TAG) · Loose Passive (Calling Station) · Tight Passive (Rock). A regular player which plays frequently or one who plays for fun & doesn't play frequently can use any or all of these styles from game to game or even within the game so it would be a difficult correlation to associate any player to a particular action just based on their frequency of play thus seems unnecessary to me just to know how many players play for fun or are regulars in any situation.

Tho if your interest is to try & speculate how a player would probably play a game based on their previous play history then a HUD data would probably be of use.

Last edited: