Shorthanded second pair

E

Erik343

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should I be aggressive with second pair in a short handed game 6 max?

Like A62 rainbow and I have K6d

I am playing $.01/$.02 micros on Americas Card Room

I am on the button and the villain is on the cutoff.
I raised preflop five cents after the villain limped and the villain later called
I bet seven cents on the flop after the villain checked
The villain is loose

Should I keep firing on the turn and river?

Last edited:
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should I be aggressive with second pair in a short handed game 6 max?

Like A62 rainbow and I have K6d

I am playing $.01/$.02 micros on Americas Card Room

I am on the button and the villain is on the cutoff.
I raised preflop five cents after the villain limped and the villain later called
I bet seven cents on the flop after the villain checked
The villain is loose

Should I keep firing on the turn and river?
I would consider continuing to bet for value.

He is loose? It is lowest microstakes on that site?

If he has any A then he will keep coming along and beat you.

Obviously a pocket pair greater than 66 also has you beat and he will call you down.

But because you posted this - how did the villain beat you?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Short answer - no.

You are only going to get called by better

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short answer - no.

You are only going to get called by better
I don't agree.

The OP needs to continue bet on any flop that he connects with.

Or, even if he misses the flop - he can't bet the flop as a bluff?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't agree.

The OP needs to continue bet on any flop that he connects with.

Or, even if he misses the flop - he can't bet the flop as a bluff?
He is asking about turn and river, not the flop. A cbet is fine (as is check) but you cant keep barreling middle pair for 3 streets

E

Erik343

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The hand was just an example thanks. Not a real hand… What if the hand instead was :
AJ2 flop rainbow and I have KJd
Same betting…
Does that change things?
Less chance worrying about bigger pocket pairs…

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The hand was just an example thanks. Not a real hand… What if the hand instead was :
AJ2 flop rainbow and I have KJd
Same betting…
Does that change things?
Less chance worrying about bigger pocket pairs…
It doesn't change anything for me.

If you were the original raiser preflop then I would suggest continue betting the flop approximately 1/2 pot.

It is likely your villain missed the flop completely and should consider folding. They may want to float you and see what you do on the turn. And you are charging them for this. If you check the turn then they would assume that you missed the flop and are weak on the turn. They might try to steal the pot from you on the river by betting the river - thinking that you are weak - regardless of their pocket holdings.

Good question and good luck !

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He is asking about turn and river, not the flop. A cbet is fine (as is check) but you cant keep barreling middle pair for 3 streets
I would like to remind everybody that 2nd pair on the flop is often the best hand.

If the villain calls and is relatively reasonable then yes - there is a good chance they have an Ace.

But in the example presented the villain is loose.

I say keep charging them and charging them by betting the one pair.

I might check the river because to me - that is when you are only getting called by better or check raised by air and then I would have to fold.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think you can get in a mess c betting 2nd pair. Especially a low pair. I think its often better to check flop and call a turn or river bet potentially.

In your scenarios, I may C bet tho if I am the initial raiser, as there is an A on board. I can also double barrel for the same reason, it looks like you more likely have a decent A, so villain can fold weaker A's, and other none A holdings

M

Margo17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Vs CO plays more than x turn when I don't get the set or K right, because Co's call range doesn't have many 6s, so I prefer to analyze the turn/river considering that most of the villain's range is broadways and pocket pairs.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Second pair is typically a hand, which we need to do some pot control with, by checking either flop or turn. Assuming the opponent call, then we can decide, if we want to call a river bet or bet for thin value when checked to, depending how the board runs out, their sizing etc. In the two examples given I would lean towards betting K6 on A62 and check KJ on AJ2.

The reason is, K6 benefit a lot more from protection. If for instance the opponent has T9s, they have 6 outs to turn a pair, which beat K6 on A62, whereas they will need some sort of runner-runner to draw out on KJ on AJ2. And even if they dont hit, most of the time K6 will be degraded to third or fourth pair, when we get to river. So if they start bluffing, it will likely work.

And for that reason with a weak second pair like K6 on A62, we are happy to end the hand on the flop and take down a small pot basically representing the ace and usually giving up a lot, if we get action and dont improve to two pair or trips. Whereas with KJ on AJ2, we dont mind keeping the opponent in and allowing them to either bluff or turn some equity, so they can pay us off.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands