Are people at the $0.02/$0.05 level more 'readable' than at the $0.01/$0.02?

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing $0.01/$0.02 for a while and every now and then I also play $0.02/$0.05 on ACR. Every time I play at the higher level I have the feeling that people play more according to what the books teach and hence are more 'readable', while at the lower level people tend to do crazier stuff. Is that just my perception?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing $0.01/$0.02 for a while and every now and then I also play $0.02/$0.05 on ACR. Every time I play at the higher level I have the feeling that people play more according to what the books teach and hence are more 'readable', while at the lower level people tend to do crazier stuff. Is that just my perception?
Lower stakes always play "crazier".

Generally the higher the stake the better the players.

Although you will still see "crazy" play at higher stakes.

B

bababooey

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
At these levels you just have to play a decent TAG style of poker but the higher you get the more you have to adjust and will see better players.

You will always get a whale at any stakes so it's best to find a game that you can beat and if you can't find the fish at the table then maybe it's not a profitable table.

M

Manf1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
You have to play a solid game in 2NLEH play hands most of the times over agressive pre-flop

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The regs are better, but still bad, so can be quite predictable. Its still a tougher game at 5NL than 2NL as the regs are slightly better and there are fewer fish.
Anyway once you've played enough the fish are quite readable too.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes, a lot of people on NL5 are there to beat the limit by playing TAG style and move up, they have nothing to prove, since they figured out that micros need to be passed as quick as possible by playing ABC poker. NL2, on the other hand, has just about anyone - new players, freeroll players, players starting with 10$, players who lost their bankroll, microgamblers, people who don't know the rules, people who are trying to practice what they've seen in high stakes games and so on and so forth.... 😉

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes its true, that "bad regs", which you will find a lot in a game like 5NL cash, tend to be more predictable or readable than fish. But while hand reading against fish or maniacs can be more difficult, its also more rewarding, when you get it right, and potentially more profitable. So avoiding bad players is never a reason to move up. But of course there are many other reasons, why you dont want to spend the rest of your poker career playing 2NL. So if you feel ready to move up, and have a sufficient bankroll, then by all means go for it :)