Heads up Top Pair Raised

E

Erik343

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m playing 1$/$2 No limit against a bunch of loose passive players.

I get AKo with K72 rainbow. I’m heads-up against a villain. I preflop bet $7 he calls. I flop bet $10 he raises me to $20.

In these situations, getting raised heads up with top pair, in general is it best to just fold, call, or even reraise? What if the board was draw heavy instead?

D

danielaq

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
SG
Chips
i think generally against loose passive players you would want to fold this. If they're raising range is mainly value than you really don't beat anything in their range even if you continue. You also have to indicate what's your position, if he's in the blinds/BT there's a higher chance he's holding some hand like a set or 2 pair, which even if you called hoping to bink an ace or a K, it will still be a dicey spot since you'll be up against a boat if he bets on future streets. Do indicate next time what position you&villian are in and what are the stack sizes (in brackets)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When sharing a hand history its important to give all the details including positions and the effective stack. Position matter, because ranges are different from different positions, or at least they should be. And the effective stack matter, because it will determine, if we are willing to stack off or not. In a single raised pot, we are typically not willing to stack off with a single pair, if we are 100BB deep. So assuming, that this was the case, the first option to rule out is to come back over the pot with a 3-bet. If you do that, you typically end stacking off against only better hands.

However its also way to tight to fold. Its a min-raise, so you are getting amazing pot odds, and some players will raise top pair "to find out where they are". Also on this particular board does he ever have two pair? K7, K2 or 72? Maybe if he defended his big blind, or if he is very bad, but otherwise the answer should be no. And if he has no two pair, or maybe very few like K7s / K2s, then you basically lose to 6 combos of sets. Which yeah, he could have that, but then you call now and consider folding later, if he bomb the turn and river.